It’s rainy season here in our country and we are loving it! Not only does it mean cooler temps at night and sometimes during the day, but it also means we can enjoy eating hot meals more often!
Sometimes in the hotness of hot season we just don’t want to eat warm foods or drink hot beverages. Iced coffee, iced green tea, sandwiches and salads tend to take over. So when the temperatures are reasonable we rush to enjoy the warmer foods like soups, stews, and casseroles.
So one particularly cool evening it seemed like only some sort of soup would do for dinner. After searching Pinterest a bit, I remembered that my mom had sent me this recipe and I happened to have everything on hand (love when that happens!). 30 minutes later dinner was ready and it was delightful!
Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili
Recipe adapted from WellVegan
B gives it 4 out of 5 carrots
2 cans black beans
6 oz tomato paste
32 oz vegetable stock ( or chicken stock if that’s what you have)
1 medium onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs chili powder
1 t dried parsley
1 t oregano
1 ½ Tbs cumin
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
1 cup quinoa
1 small can of corn
Avocado, cheese and sour cream for garnish
- Heat up EVOO in soup pot over medium heat and cook onion and bell pepper until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add tomato paste, chilli powder, cumin , parsley and oregano. Cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly, allowing the herbs to “bloom”.
- Add stock, beans, corn and sweet potato cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 6 minutes and then add in the quinoa, stirring to mix.
- Cook until potatoes and quinoa are fully cooked, about 15-20 minutes, and the chili is thick. Add water if needed or based on your thickness preference.
- Serve garnished with some avocado slices, cheese and/or sour cream.
Meat option: Brown and drain some ground beef and add it when you add the beans!